Donuts pair perfectly with coffee, but at nearly 500 calories and deep-fried, it’s hard to justify these classic coffee house treats on any old day. But with a few recipe adjustments, it’s possible (and easy) to make healthier donuts at home!
These donuts are made with chocolate-flavoured Vega One protein, and a handful of other ingredients. To make them, you will need:
- A donut baking tray (mine is a Wilbur tray I bought at a sale for $5)
- 3/4 cup whole grain all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Vega One chocolate protein powder
- 2.5 tbsp coconut oil + 2 tsp
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6–8 packets of stevia
- 1 cup plant milk
- 1 medium-size egg
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- Heat oven to 380 degrees and mix all dry ingredients evenly with a whisk
- Add all wet ingredients to dry and mix evenly with a whisk for 1–2 minutes until mixture is smooth
- Brush 1 tsp of coconut oil to grease donut pan or spray to grease
- Fill each donut compartment to 3/4 full
- Once the oven is heated, set timer to 30 minutes and bake
- Once ready to take out of the oven, leave to cool for 15 minutes and very carefully take out of pan. I find using a very thin, sharp-edged knife helps with this
- Heat 1/3 cup of dark chocolate chips in a small bowl (that can fit each donut for dipping) with remaining 1 tsp of coconut oil and 1 tbsp water for 45 seconds or until everything is melted
- Dip each donut face down (so that you’re dipping the rounded side) and place on a tray to set at room temperature
This is a really simple recipe. I wanted to make it lower fat, but things get a little too dry with less coconut oil, so maintaining the specified amount of fat is pretty important. As well, because of the protein powder, it takes a little longer to bake than flour-only donuts would.
As well, because of the protein powder, it’s not as easy to use an egg substitute while maintaining the dough’s adherence.
What are your thoughts? This was a nice experiment, and I personally like the taste of stevia. The resulting donuts contain some protein and are lower in sugar and fat than regular donuts.
But, I have to admit that I prefer full-flour donuts much more. I will post these on the blog one day. If you’d like to make those straightaway instead, use one cup of flour and two tablespoons of chocolate powder and leave out the protein.